1. I am grateful for bedtime stories with three eager listeners followed by sweet prayers and goodnight kisses.
2. I am grateful for the sound of a breeze blowing through the trees in the silent of the night.
3. I am grateful to have been wide awake enough to watch the ending of the rain-delayed Royals game, especially since they won.
4. I am grateful to have been asked over and over again to “sing us a song.”
5. I am grateful for the memory of eating Spaghettios, a very rare treat.
6. I am grateful today for the sting and the bite of painful consequences. I read this morning, “Hurt people hurt people. Loved people love people.” It is true. I’ve lived both. I live both. So it is in the sting and the bite that I hold onto this:
I sat in the back of the van, Anissa in a carseat on one side, Andrae in a carseat on the other side. We were on our way to have dinner at the Stockyards after a day of becoming reacquainted. The two oldest are in constant competition, vying for attention and fairness. “Ama, I wanna tell you a secret,” Anissa whispered in my ear.
“You are the best Ama in the who-o-ole world!”
My heart danced.
“Ama, I wanna tell you a secret, too!” Andrae couldn’t be outdone.
“Thank you for my new toys. I love you.”
My heart was twirling on the ballroom floor.
7. I am grateful for child secrets whispered, even if they are one-ups. They are band-aids for my heart today.