Today is Delores’ birthday.
I was up at about 4 am just thinking about memories I have of this lady, my other Mom in this life:
- Mom’s best friend
- My first babysitter, at least that I can remember
- The best board games were at the top of the stairs
- Sheets and towels drying on the clothesline just outside the door, and she didn’t mind if I wrapped myself in them
- I don’t believe she has ever in her life raised her voice in anger
- Working at The Medical Center
- Ginger, the wiener dog
- Penny, the cocker spaniel
- I don’t think her hair has ever been out of place
- She always had the best junk on her Christmas tree
- She let me eat what I wanted
- Miniatures and shadow boxes
- Nativity sets for Mom at Christmas
- Many evenings spent on the patio, just visiting
- Taco Johns dates with Mom
- Her hugs
- Riding my yellow bike with the flowered banana seat to her house just down the street
- Her cards
- She always gave Mom the best birthday and Christmas presents
- Knowing I am loved by her no matter what
Oh, there are so many more memories. I love Delores. She is the definition of a lady and a role model in my life. Someday, I hope to be just like her.
So, today, I am grateful for Delores and for her friendship to my Mom and my Dad, and me. I am grateful for her cards she sends, her silliness and ability to tease, her care and concern for our family, her dedication and example to her own family. I am grateful for her witness and example of trusting in God no matter the situation. She deserves nothing but the best this life has to offer.
Happy Birthday, sweet friend.