We were supposed to go to a movie this evening.
But instead, this evening, he rests.
I am grateful for little things right now.
- For a meal shared on the couch watching Wheel of Fortune and then a ballgame.
- For a hint of a smile when a smile doesn’t come very easy.
- For sleep when his body says “no more.”
- For a box of macaroni and cheese when all the so good homemade is just too much on this less than 50% evening.
- For a couch that is long enough for his body to stretch out.
- For disposable containers and just enough freezer space.
- For the rainbow colors in a soap bubble.
- For extra pillows.
- For a new good friend who stayed to eat some so-good-homemade and keep him company while he is less than 50%.
- For a setting sun and just enough breeze to keep the stifling at bay.
- For a new book of stories.
- For electricity after a storm, even if it is three days later.
- For his shoes off and his sore feet elevated.
- For pill boxes and lukewarm water.
- For the simple joy of watching birds on a wire and making up stories about what they must be saying to each other.
- For the hum of a window air conditioner.
- For soapy water and clean dishes.
- For sweet watermelon.
- For a squeeze of the hand and an “I’m sorry you have to put up with this.”
- For the gift it is to have a hand to hold and a partner to love.
- For the presence of mind to appreciate the little things.